Log cabin table runner

I'm sure you know the feeling when a certain project pops in your head and you have to make it asap, right? Well, that's how my yesterday started. Our dining table NEEDED a new table runner that was modern, fresh looking and matching all the pillows and quilts in the family room.

I had no pattern or any specific idea (not a good way to start a project, at least not for me). I picked out four different fabrics from my stash, 3 solids (kona coal, gray, and cactus) and one large poppy print. I really like log cabin blocks so I decided to make 4 big blocks and  join them with sashing in one of the solids I was using, deciding to go with kona coal at the end.


I liked how it all looked together and then it all went downhill. I decided to baste it the same way as I would a quilt and do some straight line quilting. And, I hated it!!! It was too thick, bulky, not modern or fresh looking at all. So out came my seam ripper and I "unquilted" the whole thing, ripped out the batting, and started all over.
For my second try I did not use any batting at all, and did two straight lines of hand quilting on both sides. Sorry, quilting is hard to see on this picture, it's running along the gray fabric.



I used kona cactus for the binding and I think it just brings that last pop that I needed.
I like how it looks on the table, but I'm still thinking I might turn it into a wall hanging or even something else? I should probably stop obsessing about it, it's just a tablecloth, after all.



Have a great weekend, and as usual, if you have any comments, I'd love to hear from you.
Svetlana